Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2018


OH TO BE.....

What a beautiful day yesterday.   Dry, warm, sunny with temperatures in the mid-20s Celsius.  (Will we get Fahrenheit back after 19th March next year, I wonder?)   And during a lull in my frantic day, I looked up the webcam for the King Harry Ferry, which plies its trade across the River Fal in the heart of Cornwall.

No doubt risking a fine for breach of copyright, I took this photo of the image that appeared on my PC desktop, downloaded it from my camera onto the PC, fiddled with it in Picasa3, saved it in a pictures folder then uploaded it on to here.   And it looked like a beautiful day down in Cornwall too and I sat and watched as the live webcam showed the ferry drifting slowly across the river from the Feock side to the Roseland and back again.

It all seemed to sum up the pace of life down there - people were waiting patiently for the ferry to complete its crossing, some got out of their cars and watched the world go by and I was reminded of the Cornish `dreckly` - things will happen when they do rather than in any sort of hurry.

I`ve made that crossing a number of times, the last time returning to our holiday cottage at Rosevine, a stone`s throw from Portscatho on the Roseland peninsula.   That is the side of the river you can see in this photo - the leaves on the oaks are turning into their Autumnal rust and the air of peace and calm made me think how good it would have been to  be there yesterday.   (As ever, please click on the photo for a better image.)

No comments: