Search This Blog

Thursday, January 04, 2018


QUACK TWICE...

Funny how things spring to mind.  Yesterday I mentioned that my Mum invariably addressed me as `my duck` when I was but a boy.  As I was nodding off yet again I got to thinking where else I had heard that term of endearment.  And it came to me that, of course, it was in Dylan Thomas`s masterpiece, Under Milk Wood.  And it was Rosie Probert (From Duck Lane, Jack - quack twice and ask for Rosie) who described Blind Captain Cat not only as `my duck` but a whole lot of other things besides.

Best thing I can do is set out the relevant  bit of that unforgettable dialogue (I have the happy knack of recalling pretty much the whole of Thomas`s play for radio) between Rosie and the Captain.  It goes like this:-

ROSIE PROBERT 
What seas were you rocking
My little deck hand
My favourite husband
In your seaboots and hunger
My duck, my whaler
My honey, my daddy
My pretty sugar sailor.
With my name on your belly 
When you were a boy
Long long ago?

CAPTAIN CAT
I`ll tell you no lies.
The only sea I saw
Was the seasaw sea
With you riding on it.
Lie down, lie easy.
Let me shipwreck in your thighs.

ROSIE PROBERT
Knock twice, Jack
At the door of my grave
And ask for Rosie.

As I said, funny how things spring to mind.  Well, mine anyway.



No comments: