Search This Blog

Monday, November 26, 2012


WHAT GRANDADS DO..

To Southampton to collect my eldest granddaughter from her history studies.   I left her to decide a venue for lunch, which was a choice between the Boathouse at Hythe and the Cowherds off the Avenue just down the road from the University.  It was a close run thing but the Cowherds just edged it, as they seemed to have more `traditional` dishes rather than a load of foreign stuff.   

I was under some instructions to make sure she `had a good feed, `cos you know what students are like,` so it was a bit of a surprise when she was unable to munch her way through a particularly scrumptious dessert, billed as `Lemon Meringue Sundae - creamy lemon posset, vanilla ice cream, crushed meringue and whipped cream.`   I managed mine though, no problem.

We then went to my boyhood village of Hythe on the western shore of Southampton Water to leave some flowers on my Mum`s resting place, then took Sarah back to where she is sharing a house close to the University and, of course, made sure she was `OK.`   It`s what Grandads do...... I am very thankful and fortunate to be able to do it.   Even the three hour plus drive home made it all worth it and I look forward to doing it all again.

No comments: