Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 03, 2012


THROW AWAY THE KEY..


I think I`ve mentioned before in these pages that, for me at least, arguably the most precious thing in life is children.   They are a blessing, there to be loved, enjoyed and cherished.   And this week we have had two desperately painful episodes which I`m sure touch the hearts of us all.   The first was the killing of two children by their father, who then took his own life, in a remote village near Andover in Hampshire and it seems to me that, if there are `issues` that lead to that kind of desperation, then by all means end it all for yourself but for heaven`s sake spare the children.

And now we have the heart rending case of little April Jones and although hope must  of course continue to spring eternal, the signs are not encouraging.  It goes without saying that we will all be feeling the pain for the family and friends of a beautiful little girl displaying all the innocence of childhood.  But I think my own considered reaction to this outrage is one of sheer anger.   I`m angry that this kind of thing can ever happen in what is alleged to be a civilised country and I`m angry that there are people who are capable of such grotesque acts against defenceless children.

So, when the perpetrator is finally brought to book, my anger, which will refuse to subside, dictates that I want no reports from psychologists, no weak kneed mitigation or any wish-washy excuses for his behaviour from the goody-two-shoes apologists.   I simply want him locked up and the key thrown away. End of.


No comments: