Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER

Late yesterday afternoon, I was out for a wander with Barney and we explored a wood which we don`t usually go into because the footpaths through it are often very muddy, resulting in Barney`s Golden Retriever coat resembling more that of a Black Labrador.

The wood is quite close to where we live but with the snow on the ground and the frost keeping the paths firm, it made a change and we skirted the edge of a fishing lake which itself was frozen over.

I managed to take a few photos including the one on the left. There was no-one else around, just Barney and me and a small gaggle of wildfowl skating on the ice.   It made for a quiet and peaceful interlude and seemed somehow to capture ther essence of the very bleak midwinter we`re having here in deepest Kent. 

 For today is midwinter day - the shortest day and the longest night - and as I look out of the window, all I can see is yet more snow and ice but also some freezing fog, low cloud and already a darkening sky.   Not sure I fancy a long walk with Barney on an afternoon like this but he won`t settle unless he goes out for his constitutional scamper and, truth be told, neither will I.   But at least we`ve reached the psychological barrier of the winter solstice and starting tomorrow, the only way is up.  Possibly.

No comments: