Search This Blog

Friday, June 06, 2008



LOOKS FAMILIAR....
A couple of nights ago, the late night film on BBC2 was this one - Three Days of the Condor. I had seen it before, some years ago and enjoyed it then so I thought I might settle back and enjoy it once more.

As I watched, I was struck by almost a feeling of deja vu; not about seeing the film before because I knew I had done that, but there was something oddly `familiar` about the look, the pace, the `atmosphere` of the film which I couldn`t quite place.

So I watched the credits at the end and some familiar names cropped up, including
Director - Sydney Pollack
Costume Designer - Bernie Pollack
Photography - Owen Roizman
Music - Dave Grusin

And then I remembered where I had seen all those names - and some others as well - before. It was in the acclaimed 1981 drama `Absence of Malice` which included
Director - Sydney Pollack
Costume Designer - Bernie Pollack
Photography - Owen Roizman
Music - Dave Grusin

No wonder the style of the two films matched each other so identifiably, both being shining examples of all aspects of the film makers` craft. Sydney Pollack`s recent departure is a real loss but these two films, among others such as `Out of Africa` for which he was more widely known, stand comparison with anything the film industry has produced.

I wonder what`s on tonight.



No comments: