Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2007



DISTURBING THE PEACE.......


Well, here I am alive and well residing in the heart of the Garden of England ~ not quite at peace with the world, for there are many things which disturb me, but by and large things are ok. So what happens to disturb the tranquility of my mind, apart from Wimbledon, self-serving politicians, my awful golf, celebrity do-gooders and the fortunes of Southampton Football Club?


The answer, I suppose, is quite a lot. But the thing that really gets to me is being taken for granted and having my intelligence insulted. The latest example centres around the weekend`s antics at the EU summit in Brussels, led by Rosa Klebb lookalike German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Here she is, ringing the changes of our lives with a grim determination:~

I can`t quite make my mind up about the EU. Maybe I should care more deeply than I do about its inexorable rise to super-state status, but I do care about two aspects. First, it is an enormously expensive bureaucracy and I get the feeling that the taxes I pay are being taken for granted. I am never at all sure that there is enough accountability or responsibility when dealing with the taxpayers` money which makes it all possible.....and I resent that.
Second, Mrs. Merkel and her cohorts should not go on thinking that we taxpayers are as daft as they may wish to believe we are. The rebranding of the failed EU Constitution as merely an amending treaty really will not do and amounts to an insult to the intelligence of most people. Even though new PM, Gordon Brown, has already denied us a referendum in the UK, there may yet be hope that the promised referendum in the Emerald Isle may put a timely spanner in the works, as the French and the Dutch did so beguilingly a couple of years ago.
Time I went for a therapeutic stroll through the nearby orchards, I think.

No comments: