Search This Blog

Thursday, August 05, 2021

 


There comes a point when you get things wrong.  It might be down to advancing senility, it might be down to being misinformed or even just misunderstanding.   But I find it hard to escape the notion that sometimes - like now - the rest of the world is going increasingly bonkers and it`s just me that is getting it right.

The latest example is this Covid thing.   Now I know I`ve promised not to write too much about that and I`ve no intention of doing so here and now, but I`m bewildered by the Government`s determination to carry on letting people do pretty much what they like and travel more widely just at the same time as the statistics for the Covid infections are becoming yet more worrying.

Yesterday the number of infections went up again - well over 20.000 again - and that daily figure has been maintained for some time now.   Hospital admissions are on the rise and, perhaps most worrying of all, the death rate is now consistently in treble figures rather than the double or even single figures it was just a few weeks ago.  And they`ve stopped telling us what the R number is.

So, forgive me but I really don`t get the logic, the common sense even, of releasing yet more restrictions and more `freedoms` all the time the daily statistics concerning the pandemic are as high as they are.   We are either being misinformed, I might be misunderstanding but I thought the idea was to contain if not defeat the virus rather than hope it might just go away.  Then again it might just be me?

No comments: