Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2020


LIFE`S A BEACH...

This was the scene in recent days as crowds flocked to the beaches on England`s south coast.  Images like this are enough to persuade me that it really isn`t worth the effort and that in  truth I really don`t want to be there anyway.  But photos of beaches like this - and there are many, many more depicting the mayhem on beaches around the country - at least brought back memories of the very first time I ever saw the sea.

It was back in the end game of World War 2.  My mother and I had spent most of the war living with relatives in the village of Blackfield close to Southampton Water whilst my father was holed up in a German Prisoner of War camp.  Even after well over 70 years I still have vivid memories of those days and indeed those nights when hearing the nightly air raids on Southampton and the surrounding area.   I remember the build up to  D-Day when a seemingly endless procession of American trucks headed through the village on their way to Lepe beach - about two or three miles down the road - where the mulberry harbours were being constructed prior to the D-Day landings.

But when things quietened down a bit, one day my mother and another family decided it was safe to walk down to Lepe beach.  It was quite a walk and I remember passing a bomb crater - a frequent calling card left by German bombers heading back after giving Southampton docks a pasting - but most of all I remember my first ever view of the sea down at Lepe.  I looked along the shoreline towards Calshot one way and Inchmery the other way and looked across to the Isle of Wight.  It was for me - and still is - an inspiring view.  Here`s what it looks like these days:-


It may not be the most spectacular beach but I have been back a few times over the years and despite its `development` as a country park it still holds a special magic for me from all those years ago.   I really must get back there before it`s too late.......

No comments: