Search This Blog

Monday, January 04, 2016

CONTENTMENT REVISITED...

Some months ago, before my conversion to born again Mr. Nice Guy, I posted a rather wistful piece following a return home from a favourite Cornish holiday home.  I went so far as to suggest that it may have been the last time I would go there and, indeed, quoted from AE Houseman`s `A Shropshire Lad`........`That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain.  The happy highways where I went.  And cannot come again.`

Now, after the intrusion of the season of goodwill, people`s minds traditionally turn to summer holidays and they start scrambling around looking at newspaper ads, TV commercials and wonder where to go and what to do.   These exhortations revolve largely around foreign holidays, cruises and the like, where sun and riotous times are guaranteed escapes from the drudgery of modern day life.

Well, I`ve thought about it and decided to go back to my own personal land of lost content because I like it and I want to go again.   Here it is - a quiet happy highway of a lane leading down from our holiday retreat to a glorious beach with the Llaregub-esque village on the hillside beyond.   Suits us very well -  we booked it up weeks ago !!.....


No comments: