Search This Blog

Thursday, January 03, 2013


TO FLUSH OR NOT TO FLUSH?

Had a letter before Christmas from South East Water saying they`re going to install water meters in our street, starting on 7th January.   Now I suppose this is yet another initiative to conserve water supplies which is a bit ironic as we`ve just had the wettest year in England since records began.   And in the seemingly never ending deluge of environmental initiatives, this is just another to go with all the rest such as recycling everything in sight, driving Priuses, having wind farms, wave hubs, solar panels and all kinds of insulation.

So I guess I shouldn`t mind as I`m an eco-warrior, keen to do my bit for saving the planet. But there`s one aspect of the `customer metering programme` that I do find objectionable and it`s the compulsion of it.   No consultation, just telling us what they`re going to do and when.   Now if, like gas and electricity, there was a choice of companies from whom I might get my water supply then it wouldn`t be so bad.   But there aren`t.  South East Water is a take-it-or-leave-it monopoly and so I have no choice.

What makes the whole thing more intriguing is the fact that South East Water only supply the water.   Another monopolistic company, Southern Water, don`t supply it but they are responsible for dealing with the waste water and effluent from my house.   I can`t see, therefore, why they too don`t install meters and charge me depending on how much stuff I flush down their drains.

Anyway, I`m reliably told by a near neighbour that I will `love` the water meter as it will save me so much money.   Her assertion, of course, depends entirely on how often I flush the loo, hose Barney and the car, water the garden in summer, have a bath or shower and  how often Mrs. Snopper turns on the washing machine.   There may be trouble ahead.   "But while there`s moonlight and music and love and romance, let`s flush the toilet and dance."  (Armitage Shanks)

No comments: