Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012



JUST THE MAN ?..

It`s only Day Four of the court proceedings involving football manager Harry Redknapp and football chairman Milan Mandaric and there`s every prospect of another couple of weeks of these fols-de-rol before the jury returns its verdict on the tax evasion charges brought against both men.
It would clearly be wrong to speculate over the outcome, so I won`t.   However, what has emerged already is an insight into Mr.Redknapp`s character.   Here are just a few of the pronouncements he has made so far in the trial at Southwark Crown Court:-


`I have a big problem, I can`t write so I don`t keep anything.   I`m the most disorganised person and I`m ashamed to say in the world. I can`t work a computer, I don`t know what an e-mail is, I can`t, I`ve never sent a fax and I`ve never sent a text message.`

“Malcolm Webber [Redknapp’s accountant] runs my life, he writes the cheques for me and my wife. I have never wrote a letter in my life. I write like a two year-old and I can’t spell. You talk to anyone at the football club, I don’t write, I couldn't even fill a teamsheet in.”

I said I don’t want their money,” Redknapp told police. “Tell them to give it to the youth football in Portsmouth. So I’m not going to be involved in a tax fiddle in Monaco, it’s impossible. Why was I going to fiddle £20,000 to £30,000 when I walked away from £200,000 of their money. I don’t need to fiddle.”

‘Do me a favour – I tried to nick 30 grand to save on income tax by having money paid offshore? What a load of b******s.
‘Do I need 30 ****ing grand, do I need that, Rob? I mean ****ing do I need 30 grand?`

And doubtless more examples will be forthcoming as the days go by.   Now unless I`ve been misinformed, Mr. Redknapp is the leading candidate for the job as next England manager once £6million a year Fabio Capello leaves after the upcoming European Championships.  And it might be an old fashioned notion, but I recall the days of yore when the manager of the England football team was chosen, at least in part, for his ability to represent the country in a dignified, intelligent and restrained manner - Walter Winterbottom, Ron Greenwood, Sir Alf Ramsey are just three who spring to mind having fulfilled that criterion.

Now it may well be that, in pure football terms, Mr. Redknapp is eminently qualified for the role.   However, judging by his court `performance` to date dignity, intelligence and restraint seem to be in short supply and so the Football Association may be encouraged to think again about his candidacy.   On the other hand, he may be just the man as he clearly has the qualities to move seamlessly into an England dressing room where he will feel quite at home.  F`sure. 


No comments: