Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011


A VERY SENIOR MOMENT..

They do say that when you get older, two things happen.   The first is that you lose your memory....I can`t remember what the second one is.   As if to prove the point, I experienced a very senior moment during my recent stay in Cornwall.  

I drove down to St. Minver - 283 miles - leaving home here in deepest Kent at around 8.30 on the Friday morning.  Got there 3.00-ish, unpacked, settled in and then Mrs. Snopper and I took Barney, our retriever, for a nice long walk.   Come late evening and I discovered that I hadn`t brought my morning medication which combats blood pressure and other scourges of modern day living.

So, eschewing unpromising alternative courses of action, I left St. Minver at about 10.45 that night and headed back home.   As I drove up the A39 towards Camelford, there was still some light fading in the western sky out to sea.   I did the 283 miles in good time and got home at about 3.00am - just as some daylight was beginning to appear in the eastern sky over deepest Kent.   Found the missing pills, left at 3.15 and, including a half-hour doze in a deserted layby near Honiton, finally arrived back at St. Minver at about 8.30 Saturday morning.  Problem solved. 

So, an interesting mercy dash of 849 miles, which, according to the signpost in the picture above, is only 25 miles short of Lands End to John o` Groats.   But do you know what?   I enjoyed every minute of it - the self-imposed challenge, the driving, seeing the most glorious dawn sky rising over Stonehenge and knowing that I could now enjoy the rest of my week without worrying about keeling over for lack of medication.   What began as a very senior moment ended up as a very memorable adventure.   But I`m pretty sure that Mrs. Snopper, abandoned overnight as she was with Barney in a remote Cornish hideaway, will make sure I don`t have to do it ever again.   Now what was that second thing I couldn`t remember? 

No comments: