Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

DAYS...

 I noticed that yesterday was International Womens Day.   Could hardly miss it really.  When I turned on Sky News early in the morning, I noticed that all the presenters were female which probably accounted for the fact that  the Paper Review  was concerned with recipes for fairy cakes, make-up tips and stuff like that.  Fair enough.

Seems to me however that, by having an International Women`s Day, with all its trumpeting, championing of the cause and assertive self- promotion (eg. multi-millionairess warbler Annie Lennox giving it large for the sisters) might actually be self-defeating, as it implies the acceptance of an `inferiority` which really isn`t there.

Now, in  much the same way as I wondered whether there might be a Straight Pride Day in Brighton, for example, I also wondered if this clamour for equality might see us   have an International Men`s Day.   And then someone advised me that there is - on 19th November.

Oh dear.  Gives us a chance to reassert our masculine inferiority I suppose.

No comments: