Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2009



COUNCIL TAX SHOCK
Yet another interesting `official communication` has arrived today on my doormat. The initial impact of it`s receipt can perhaps be judged by the picture (right.) You see, it was a letter from the local Valuation Officer going on about the Council Tax Band my house is in. It seems that the original valuation goes back as long as April 1991 - 18 years ago - and was translated into me paying Council Tax based on my house being valued within Band F. Over the years the tax has risen to the point whereby this year I`m paying well over £2,000 for this year`s `local services.`
So at first glance the Valuation Officer`s letter seemed to herald yet more glum news. However, on closer reading it states that the Valuation Officer has `had to review the banding of the property and finds that the council tax band is incorrect and needs to be decreased.` The change will come into effect in a year`s time and the local council is being informed so that they can prepare the revised bill and send it to me.
I`m told that I have six months to `challenge` the Valuation Officer`s decision. Fat chance. Why would I want to do that? Presumably I could claim that it should be decreased even more, but I`m a great believer in quitting while I`m ahead. In reality, I imagine the amount saved will be gobbled up by the annual increase in council tax anyway, so I don`t think my life will change dramatically. It was a nice surprise though.

No comments: