Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2008



THE SMILE ON THE FACE....
The smug, self-satisfied smile on the face tells a story. A few years ago, Rupert Lowe (pictured) was more or less hounded out as Chairman of Southampton Football Club following relegation from the Premiership and a string of poor results in our first season in the Championship (really Division 2.)
I particularly remember the home game against Ipswich Town, when during a lull in proceedings on the pitch, a good three quarters of the spectators rose from their seats in response to the cry, "Stand up if you hate Rupert." Or words to that effect. I confess I was among those standing.

And there were good reasons for my doing so. They included my disappointment at the poor management decisions Lowe had taken following the departure of Gordon Strachan, the lack of investment we needed to consolidate the advances Strachan had made and the parlous state of the football being served up not just against Ipswich but also during most of that season.

Now, last week, Rupert and his chum Michael Wilde - another former failed Chairman - regained control of the boardroom in a bloodless coup which obviated the need for an expensive Extraordinary General Meeting. I had feared this might happen, not just for the prospect of failure being revisited but also because, as I see it, the Chairman of the club is the public face of the club. It is he who represents the club to the wider world and, in turn, represents people like me who are not only shareholders but also lifelong fans. And I genuinely object to being represented by someone who has already failed us bigtime and who presents to the world an image of duck-shooting buffoonery.
(Nige)
But....and it may be a big but....if my normally reliable sources are to be believed, Rupert and Michael are going to sit down this week and discuss Nigel Pearson`s contract as manager. I have a lot of time for Nige - and I hope he can be persuaded to stay on decent terms. He already knows we have no money to spend on new players and he knows Rupert was not in favour of him being appointed in the first place, but if he can bring himself to agree terms, then it may soften the blow of Rupert`s return.
I am, however, reminded of the the parting words of another ex-manager, Graeme Souness, who was less than effusive in his description of Rupert by saying, "Who ever heard of anyone in football called Rupert?" Trouble is, we seems to be stuck with him again. Smile and all.

No comments: