Search This Blog

Sunday, July 04, 2010


SHOULD `VE GONE TO..

Lord`s Cricket Ground - unquestionably the most iconic, spectacular and beautiful cricket ground in the world. You know the slogan, "Should have gone to Specsavers," well, maybe I should have gone to Lord`s yesterday for the last game in the five match 50-overs series between England and Australia. I had the chance. I was telephoned on Friday evening by someone who had a spare sponsor`s ticket and did I fancy a day at the home of cricket?
I thought about it and asked myself whether I really wanted to make the slog of a journey up to London, across on the underground and spend a very long day in the baking sunshine which we are still having and then make the long return journey. So I declined as gracefully as I could, especially as I seriously appreciated the invitation. And then the second thoughts kicked in. Hang on - sponsor`s ticket? Visions of a sumptuous five star, shady, air conditioned box with an endless supply of chilled drinks, spectacular vantage point overlooking the whole ground, cordon bleu catering - all courtesy of the match sponors? Too late, for by the time I had reconsidered, someone else was being offered the ticket.
So this morning, out of a sense of needing to know, I telephoned to see how the day went. It went very well, apart from the result (Australia won, but lost the series 3-2) but a little probing unearthed the fact that there had been no box, so chilled drinkies on tap, no cordon bleu goodies, too much sun, but still a very long and enjoyable day. All of which made me feel just a little better, but even so I can`t escape the notion that, especially at my age, if there is a chance to go to a big occasion at an unforgettable venue, it`s a chance that really should be taken.
This year I have `done` the new Wembley Stadium and the Royal Albert Hall. Lord`s, even without the extra cover that this blistering summer demands, would have made for a memorable hat trick. Oh well!

No comments: