Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2016


Some time ago I promised myself not to post any more stuff about football but last weekend`s events made it impossible for me not to mention a couple of things.  And it`s good news for some and bad news for others.

First the good news.   Having now achieved four successive promotions, my local club, Maidstone United, now find themselves in the National League as a result of a penalty shoot out victory over near neighbours Ebbsfleet.  Well, I guess it is good news for Maidstone although they will have to do a lot of expensive work to their ground to meet the standards required of clubs in the highest league outside the Football League.  And as for their die-hard supporters, they now face away trips to places such as Barrow, Gateshead, Lincoln, Torquay, Tranmere and all points in between.   Good luck with that.

My beloved Southampton ended their season with a thumping 4-1 win over Crystal Palace to end up in 5th place in the Premier League and guaranteed qualification for the Europa League next season.   They might drop down to 6th if ManUre beat the Cherries of Bournemouth in tonight`s rearranged game but even so it has been the Saints best ever season in the Premier League so I`m over the moon about that with only the onset of arthritis preventing me from dancing in the streets.

But what made Sunday a perfect day for Saints fans was witnessing Portsmuff being denied a place in the Wembley final of the League Two play-off thanks to an injury time header from Plymouth`s Peter Hartley.  Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.

I`ll shut up about football now and go back to being born again Mr. Nice Guy.  Honest.

No comments: