Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2007



A GREAT LEVELLER...

As recorded in earlier pages on this blog, I have had a lifelong love affair with football. You will have noticed my regular reports on the fortunes of Southampton FC, who my Dad first took me to The Dell to see in 1947 (Southampton 4 - Derby County 2.)

Ever since I can remember, I have played football, my first experience aged about 5 taking place on the field that led across to Kings Copse off Hampton Lane in Blackfield, when I was introduced to the concept of `marking` opponents. I did not disappoint!

After a seriously undistinguished playing career, spanning Platt FC, the Tenth Royal Hussars and Maidstone Dolphins as a box-to-box midfield playmaker with a good engine and an eye for a pass, resulting in a trophy cabinet consisting of two medals (both for being runners-up; show me a good loser and I`ll show you a loser,) my attention then turned to continuing an involvement in the game by becoming a referee.

I went on the course, passed the exam (which I suspect was designed to be passed, such was the shortage of referees,) bought the kit - little black suit, whistle, stop-watch, flags for linesmen, red and yellow cards, notebook and pencil - and off I went to embark on a refereeing career which seemed to mirror that of my playing career - undistinguished but hugely enjoyable.
(click to enlarge)

Refereeing in the local youth leagues and the local senior Sunday League certainly kept me involved with the game, kept me reasonably fit and, above all, provided a great leveller. At the time, I had a very responsible job with a staff of well over 100 and my working week was spent `directing the traffic` so to speak and generally being treated with courtesy and acquiescence by my colleagues. So, my weekend refereeing provided me with the experience of having my judgement and my parentage queried regularly throughout the 90 minutes of each game and being on the receiving end of some very inventive verbal criticism.
That process provided a valuable counterpoint to my working week. These days, my love affair with football continues but only from the viewpoint of a spectator. Nonetheless, I find it not to be in my nature to hurl abuse at players or referees - after all, the ones I spectate are infinitely more talented at it than I ever was. I just hope they enjoy it as much as I did.


No comments: